Dental implants are artificial tooth roots made of biocompatible materials, typically titanium. They serve as a sturdy foundation for prosthetic teeth that look and function just like natural ones. Unlike traditional dentures or bridges that sit on the gumline or rely on adjacent teeth for support, dental implants are surgically placed into the jawbone, making them as stable as natural teeth are.
How Do Dental Implants Work?
The first step in the dental implant process is the placement of a titanium post into the jawbone. This post acts as an artificial tooth root, providing a strong foundation for the replacement tooth. The surrounding bone fuses with the implant over time through a process called osseointegration, which ensures stability and durability.
Once the implant has been integrated with the jawbone, an abutment is attached to it. This serves as a connector between the implant and the replacement tooth or crown. The abutment allows for proper alignment and secure attachment of the final restoration. After healing and gum tissue growth, a custom-made crown is placed on top of the abutment. This crown is designed to match your natural teeth in size, shape, and color, resulting in a seamless smile.
It's important to note that dental implants provide more than just aesthetic improvement. They also help maintain healthy bone structure by stimulating jawbone growth where teeth are missing.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
Dental implants can be considered by anyone who has lost one or more teeth due to injury, decay, or periodontal disease. However, it's important to have adequate jawbone density and healthy gums to support successful implantation. Our dentist will conduct a thorough examination and take X-rays or CT scans to determine if you're a suitable candidate.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
- The benefits of dental implants go beyond just enhancing your smile. Dental implants are a durable and long-lasting solution for replacing missing teeth. Unlike dentures or bridges, which can become loose or need to be replaced over time, dental implants are designed to fuse with the jawbone, providing a stable foundation for artificial teeth.
- One major benefit of dental implants is improved oral health. When you have missing teeth, it can lead to bone loss in the jaw and shifting of surrounding teeth. Dental implants help prevent these issues by stimulating the jawbone and maintaining its strength. This not only preserves your facial structure but also prevents future oral health problems.
- Another advantage of dental implants is their natural appearance and feel. Since they are securely anchored into the jawbone, they look and function just like real teeth. You can eat, speak, and smile with confidence knowing that your dental implant will stay in place.
- Additionally, dental implants offer convenience not provided by other tooth replacement options. Unlike removable dentures that require messy adhesives or fixed bridges that involve grinding down adjacent healthy teeth, dental implants can stand without impacting other natural teeth.
- Moreover, one significant benefit often overlooked is how dental implants can improve self-esteem and overall quality of life. When you have missing teeth or wear uncomfortable dentures, it can affect your ability to eat certain foods or speak clearly, which could impact social interactions as well as confidence levels.
If you're ready to regain confidence in your smile and enjoy all the benefits that come with having a complete set of teeth again, consider dental implants! To learn more, call us at (425) 251-6044 or visit our office, Advanced Care Dental, at 16600 W Valley Hwy, Tukwila, WA 98188. We will be happy to guide you further.